All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionChristmas poems by the Nobel LaureateTo Him, all things seemed ermous: His mother's breast, the steam out of the ox's strils, Caspar, Balthazar, Melchior, the teamof Magi, the presents heaped by the door, ajar.He was but a dot, and a dot was the star.--from Star of the Nativity Joseph Brodsky, who jokingly referred to himself as a Christian by correspondence, endeavored from the time he first took to writing poems seriously, to write a poem for every Christmas. He said in an interview: What is remarkable about Christmas? The fact that what we're dealing with here is the calculation of life--or, at the very least, existence--in the consciousness of an individual, a specific individual. He continued, I liked that concentration of everything in one place--which is what you have in that cave scene. There resulted a remarkable sequence of poems about time, eternity, and love, spanning a lifetime of metaphysical reflection and formal invention. In Nativity Poems six superb poets in English have come together to translate the ten as yet untranslated poems from this sequence, and the poems are presented in English in their entirety in a beautiful, pocket-sized edition illustrated with Mikhail Lemkhin's photographs of winter-time St. Petersburg.
- Author BiographyThe poet, essayist, and playwright Joseph Brodsky (1940-96) came to the United States in 1972, an involuntary exile from the Soviet Union. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1987 and served as Poet Laureate of the United States in 1991 and 1992.
- Author(s)Joseph Brodsky
- PublisherFarrar, Strauss & Giroux-3pl
- Date of Publication13/11/2002
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar, Strauss & Giroux-3pl
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight127 g
- Width118 mm
- Height186 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Photographer(s)Mikhail Lemkhin
- Translated byJoseph Brodsky,Melissa Green,Seamus Heaney,Glyn Maxwell,Paul Muldoon,Derek Walcott,Richard Wilbur,Mr Anthony Hecht
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.