All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe events of Hurricane Katrina have been seared into our collective consciousness, revealing a glaring discrepancy between the experiences of privileged whites and those of low-income blacks. The latter faced a scale of physical danger and mental trauma that the former largely escaped. While residents with resources evacuated in cars, poor residents were left to fend for themselves-without food, water, medicine, shelter, or safety. Many poor African Americans died; many more lost loved ones and all of their material belongings. Natural Disasters and Public Health analyzes the public health effects of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma on mirities in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast. The contributors assess the overall health policy and public health implications of these three natural disasters. While most of the current literature on disaster relief focuses on FEMA, race, urban planning, and the environment, Natural Disasters and Public Health takes a broader perspective, advocating the inclusion of comprehensive public health policy in future disaster relief programs. Unflinching photographs-many from the Astrodome in Houston after the evacuation of New Orleans and including the triage clinic set up there by the Baylor School of Medicine-illustrate the poor conditions under which health care professionals and aid workers ministered to the sick and injured. Reports from the field by disaster relief professionals and research articles by scholars present lessons learned and offer tools and guidance for future planning. This volume is a valuable resource for public policymakers, health care agencies, providers who plan for large-scale emergencies, academics teaching disaster relief courses, and professionals working in this field.
- Author BiographyVirginia Brennan is an assistant professor of biomedical sciences at Meharry Medical College and editor of the Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication11/08/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note34, 25 black & white halftones, 9 black & white line drawings
- Weight590 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byVirginia M. Brennan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Save on Textbooks
- AU $28.12Trending at AU $33.15
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.33
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.66
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $44.93
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.12
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.03
- AU $49.56Trending at AU $56.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.