All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.46
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
About this product
- DescriptionMy first experiences of the natural world were with my grandfather in the woodlands of Appalachia. Those experiences sparked a lifelong curiosity of and connection to nature that set in motion a process of discovery that continues to this day. Johnson invites the reader on a personal journey into the natural world through his and other's explorations of the outdoors. From a dream like winter landscape on an excursion into the Colorado Rockies, to reflections on family and life while paddling a river, Johnson weaves a tapestry of natural, cultural, and personal history. The sun is drying the dew from the goldenrod. A few monarch butterflies flutter by on their last leg in that ancient migration. The monarchs kw, by instinct, where they are going, unlike me, a human, who is just beginning to understand where I have been. The old markers longer point a direction. Each must find his or her own way, and the destination is t as clear as it was before. Johnson's essays range from backpacking with his grandson, to the Lewis and Clark Expedition, to hikers in pursuit of thier Holy Grail on the Appalachian Trail. His stories capture the intersection of changes in American lifestyles and the universal yearning for exploring something beyond ourselves. Johnson subtly suggests the complex connections between humans and the natural world with the fate of both inextricably interwoven.
- Author BiographyWillie Johnson has done freelance photography and writing for the past twenty years, specializing in outdoor adventure sports and natural and cultural history. His work has appeared in National Geographic Adventure, Backpacker, Paddler, Canoe and Kayak, and The Nature Conservancy magazines, as well as in museums, calendars, and a variety of regional publications on the outdoors and nature. Johnson is the recipient of two Individual Artist grants for photography from the Indiana Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts. This is his first book. All the photography in the book is by the author.
- Author(s)Willie Johnson
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication05/10/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight150 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.