All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNavaho Legends is one of the earliest collections of Navajo oral traditions in English, and still the best. Originally published in 1897, this sensitive translation by Washington Matthews (1843-1905) contains an extensive version of the Origin Legend plus two other tales. These richly detailed legends remain among the most complete sources of Navajo cultural, ritual, and ceremonial information. This edition is fully faithful to the original, containing Matthews's introduction, extensive tes, interlinear prayer translations, and musical tations, plus a te on modern orthography by Robert W. Young. Washington Matthews, army major and surgeon, was based in the Southwest. He was one of the earliest recorders of Navajo culture.
- Author BiographyWashington Matthews (1843-1905), U.S. Army Major and Surgeon, was based in the Southwest for a number of years. Conversant in Navajo, he was one of the earliest recorders of Navajo culture.Grace McNeley was born and raised in Shiprock, New Mexico.
- Author(s)Matthews,Washington Matthews
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/01/1994
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width159 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byMatthews,Washington
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.