Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.21
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Doris Penka delivers a cross-linguistic, unified analysis of the semantics and syntax of negative indefinites, as in the expressions body, thing, (as determiner), never and where and their counterparts in other languages. While it is standard to assume that negative indefinites behave like negative quantifiers, the author argues that these expressions are t inherently negative and are only licensed by a covert negation. In an analysis motivated by three phemena found in the structure and semantics of negative indefinites in different languages - namely negative concord (in which multiple occurrences of negative constituents express a single negation), split readings (in which negative and indefinite parts take scope independently of each other), and the limited distribution of negative indefinites in Scandinavian languages - Doris Penka considers data from a wide range of languages and reviews the most recent literature on the semantics and syntax of negative indefinites. Her book will interest all linguists working on negation in particular and the syntax-semantics interface more generally.
- Author BiographyDoris Penka is a postdoctoral researcher in the Zukunftskolleg and the Department of Linguistics at the University of Konstanz. Her research focuses on the syntax-semantics interface, in particular the interaction of negation and quantification. Negative Indefinites is a reworking of her 2007 dissertation.
- Author(s)Doris Penka
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication16/12/2010
- Series TitleOxford Studies in Theoretical Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 32
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content NoteBlack and white line drawings
- Weight430 g
- Width157 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.