Neglected Policies: Constitutional Law and Legal Commentary as Civic Education by Ira L. Strauber (Paperback, 2002)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.68+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.55
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionIn Neglected Policies, Ira L. Strauber challenges scholars and critics of constitutional jurisprudence to think differently about the Constitution and its interpretation. He argues that important aspects of law, policies, and politics are neglected because legal formalisms, philosophical theories, the reasoning of litigators and judges, and even the role of the courts are too often taken for granted. Strauber advocates an alternative approach to thinking about the legal and moral abstractions ordinarily used in constitutional decision making. His approach, which he calls agstic skepticism, interrogates all received jurisprudential tions, abandoning the search for right answers to legal questions. It demands that attention be paid to the context-specific, circumstantial social facts relevant to given controversies and requires a habit of mind at home with relativism. Strauber situates agstic skepticism within contemporary legal thought, explaining how it draws upon sociological jurisprudence, legal realism, and critical legal studies. Through studies of cases involving porgraphy, adoption custody battles, flag burning, federalism, and environmental politics, he demonstrates how agstic skepticism applies to constitutional issues. Strauber contends that training in skeptical critique will enable a new kind of civic education and culture-one in which citizens are increasingly tolerant of the ambiguities and contradictions inherent in the law and politics of a pluralistic society. Using insights from the social sciences to examine the ways constitutional cases are studied and taught, Neglected Policies will interest scholars of jurisprudence, political science, and the sociology of law.
- Author BiographyIra L. Strauber is Professor of Political Science at Grinnell College.
- Author(s)Ira L. Strauber
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication06/09/2002
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.