Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionPropelled to power by the age of 17 by an ambitious mother, self-indulgent to the point of criminality, inadequate, paraid and the perpetrator of heius crimes including matricide and fratricide, and deposed and killed by 31, Nero is one of Rome's most infamous Emperors. But has history treated him fairly? Or is the popular view of Nero as a capricious and depraved individual a travesty of the truth and a gross injustice to Rome's fifth emperor? This new biography will look at Nero's life with fresh eyes. While showing the man 'warts and all', it also caste a critical eye on the 'libels' which were perpetrated on him, such as claiming he was a madman, many of which were most probably made up to suit the needs of the Flavians, who had overthrown his dynasty.
- Author BiographyDavid Shotter is Professor Emeritus in Roman Imperial History at the University of Lancaster. His many books include Rome and Her Empire (2002), Tiberius Caesar (2nd edition, 2004), and The Fall of the Roman Republic (2nd edition, 2005).
- Author(s)David Shotter
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/08/2008
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight763 g
- Width164 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.