All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionNew Challenges for Maturing Democracies in Korea and Taiwan takes a creative and comparative view of the new challenges and dynamics confronting these maturing democracies. Numerous works deal with political change in the two societies individually, but few adopt a comparative approach-and most focus mainly on the emergence of democracy or the politics of the democratization processes. This book, utilizing a broad, interdisciplinary approach, pays careful attention to post-democratization phemena and the key issues that arise in maturing democracies. What emerges is a picture of two evolving democracies, w secure, but still imperfect and at times disappointing to their citizens-a common feature and challenge of democratic maturation. The book demonstrates that it will fall to the elected political leaders of these two countries to rise above narrow and immediate party interests to mobilize consensus and craft policies that will guide the structural adaptation and reinvigoration of the society and ecomy in an era that clearly presents for both countries t only steep challenges but also new opportunities.
- Author BiographyLarry Diamond is a Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution and the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies at Stanford. He is also Director of Stanford's Center on Democracy, Development, and the Rule of Law. Gi-Wook Shin is Director of the Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, the Tong Yang, Korea Foundation, and Korea Stanford Alumni Chair of Korean Studies, and Professor of Sociology at Stanford.
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication25/01/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleStudies of the Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, black & white tables, figures
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byGi-Wook Shin,Larry Diamond
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.