All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.80Trending at AU $28.01
About this product
- DescriptionThe Mississippi Delta has been called the most southern place on earth. This fertile expanse of flat land sprawls along the Mississippi River from Memphis, Tennessee, southward to Vicksburg, Mississippi. Culturally rich as well, the Delta is the land where the blues began. New Delta Rising is an exploration of Mississippi Delta life and a celebration of the indefatigable Delta people who live there. Award-winning photographer Magdalena Sole spent a year interviewing and photographing hundreds of residents in the Mississippi Delta. The deep connection she felt comes through in the compelling images in this book. Sole captures their personal dignity, resilience, and resourcefulness, along with the closeness of family and community she found among them. The accompanying text gives voice to the people of the Delta, illuminating their strength and character and spirit---a spirit bound up in a deeply rooted sense of place and shown in their compassion for one ather. In their stories the people of the Delta have much to offer to the rest of the United States. Rick Bragg, the acclaimed author of All Over but the Shoutin', contributes to the volume a lyrical essay evoking the distinctive aura of the Mississippi Delta. He writes, Myth and magic and legend swirl into the real world, and it can be hard to tell where one stops and the other begins.
- Author BiographyMagdalena Sole is a social documentary photographer known for her sensitive expressions of culture through color artistry. Her award-winning photographs have been exhibited throughout the world. Born in Spain and raised in Switzerland, Sole has lived in New York City since 1984. She holds a masters of fine arts from Columbia University.|Rick Bragg is the author of best-selling books about the working people of the Deep South. His first book, All Over but the Shoutin', won a Pulitzer Prize in 1996. A Nieman Fellow at Harvard University in 1993, Bragg has won the Harper Lee Award and numerous other awards. He is currently the Clarence Carson Professor of Writing at the University of Alabama.|Barry H. Smith, M.D., Ph.D., serves as director of the Dreyfus Foundation and president and CEO of The Regosin Institute. He is also professor of clinical surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and attending physician at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.|Tom Lassiter is a writer, editor, photographer, and video producer in Greensboro, North Carolina. A former newspaper feature writer and editor, he is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Author(s)Magdalena Sole
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication30/12/2011
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Note92 color photographs
- Weight1383 g
- Width305 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Introduction byRick Bragg
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.