All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionThe majority of the poor and hungry people in the world live on small farms and struggle to subsist on too little land with low input - low yield techlogies. At the same time, many other smallholders are successfully intensifying and succeeding as farm businesses, often in combination with diversification into off-farm sources of income. This book examines the growing divergence between subsistence and business oriented small farms, and discusses how this divergence has been impacted by population growth, trends in farm size distribution, urbanization, off-farm income diversification, and the globalization of agricultural value chains. It finds that policy makers need to differentiate more sharply between different types of small farms than they did in the past, both in terms of their potential contributions towards achieving national ecomic growth, poverty alleviation, and food security goals, and the types of assistance they need. The book distinguishes between smallholders that are business oriented, subsistence oriented, and at various stages of transition to the n-farm ecomy, and discusses strategies appropriate for assisting each type. The book draws on a wealth of recent experience at IFAD and elsewhere to help identify best practice approaches.
- Author BiographyAtiqur Rahman has held various managerial, research, and teaching positions at IFAD and previously worked at the Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies. He was a visiting Professor at the University of California, Riverside and an Adjunct Professor at John Cabot University, Rome. He was the lead co-coordinator and researcher of the IFAD 2001 Rural Poverty Report. He has published widely.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication06/03/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note38 Figures, 32 Colour Plates, 76 Tables, 17 Boxes
- Weight968 g
- Width172 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edited byAtiqur Rahman,Peter B.R. Hazell
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.