Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the last 50 years, the United States has become the home of immigrants from many Asian and Caribbean countries, and it has continued to receive people from European countries as well. Writers from these immigrant groups have greatly enriched American literature and society since World War II, and their works reflect their experiences as newcomers to the United States. Furthermore, their writings reflect their cultural heritage and tell the story of their ancestral lands. This reference is a comprehensive guide to immigrant literatures in the United States during the last five decades. Broad sections of the volume are devoted to Asian-American, Caribbean-American, European-American, and Mexican-American literatures. Within each section, individual chapters treat particular immigrant groups. Previously underrepresented groups, such as Pakistani Americans, Korean Americans, and Mexican Americans, are given special attention; and whenever possible, the volume discusses writings by immigrant women. The chapters are written by expert contributors. Each chapter provides a thorough historical and critical overview and extensive primary and secondary bibliographies. Many of the contributors place immigrant literature within larger socio-cultural contexts, commenting on immigration policies, problems of language and translation, and work in new media, such as film and television.
- Author BiographyALPANA SHARMA KNIPPLING is Assistant Professor of Post-Colonial Literatures in the English Department of the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. She has published on pedagogy and multiculturalism, Indian diasporic literature, post-colonial critical theory, and Indian literature in English.
- Author(s)Alpana S. Sharma
- Date of Publication10/06/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight750 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byAlpana Sharma Knippling
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.