Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.56
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.45
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Margaret Mead first studied the Manus Islanders of New Guinea in 1928, they were living with a Stone Age techlogy. Ecomically vulnerable and burdened by a complex moral code, the Manus seemed ill-equipped to handle the massive impact that World War II had on their secluded world. But a unique set of circumstances allowed the Manus to adapt swiftly to the twentieth century, and their experience led Mead to develop a revolutionary theory of cultural transformation, one that favors rapid, over piecemeal, change. As relevanttoday as it was a half-century ago, New Lives for Old is an optimistic examination of one society that chose to change, offering hope and a valuablemodel for today's developing societies.This edition, prepared for the centennial of Mead's birth, features introductions by Stewart Brand and Mead's daughter, Mary Catherine Bateson.
- Author(s)Professor Margaret Mead
- PublisherLiterary Licensing, LLC
- Date of Publication15/10/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiterary Licensing, LLC
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.