All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe nine empirical studies in New Narratives of Urban Space in Republican Chinese Cities, organized under the general framework of urban space, examine three critical dimensions of the great urban transformation in Republican China-social, legal and governance orders. Together these narratives suggest a new perception of this historical urbanism. While modern ecomic development was a major drive for Chinese urban transformation, this volume highlights the dimension of the multilayered forces that shape urban space by looking into that less quantifiable, but equally important cultural realm and by exposing the ways in which these forces created new urban narratives, which became themselves shapers of urban space and of our perception of the Republican urbanity.
- Author BiographyBilly K. L. So (PhD, Australian National University, 1983) is Chair Professor of Humanities at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. He published extensively on Chinese legal and business history including Prosperity, Region, and Institutions in Maritime China (Harvard, 2000). Madeleine Zelin (PhD, University of California at Berkeley, 1979) is Dean Lung Professor of Chinese Studies at Columbia University. She has published extensively on Chinese economic and legal history, including The Merchants of Zigong, Industrial Entrepreneurship in Early Modern China (Columbia, 2005).
- Date of Publication21/03/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleBrill's Series on Modern East Asia in a Global Historical Perspective
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1280 g
- Width16 mm
- Height24 mm
- Volume editorBilly K. L. So,Madeleine Zelin
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.