All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an exploration of 'new' religious movements which have originated since 1950, setting them within their social and cultural context. New Religious Movements: A Guide for the Perplexed examines the phemen of new faiths and alternative spiritualities which has become a feature of the contemporary world. Those interested in the spiritual dimension to life are longer limited to the major world faiths, but can draw upon a rapidly-expanding range of new religions. Some of these are derived from the major religions, some are a reworking of ancient traditions, while others signify a completely new departure in spiritual experience. This book analyses the concepts we use to discuss new religions, and surveys a range of different movements which were established in the second half of the 20th century. Paul Oliver explores the organization of the movements, and the psychological aspects of life within them; the distribution of power and authority within movements; the position of women in relation to such organizations; and finally, the nature of the evolution and expansion of such movements in relation to post-modern society. This book is ideal for students wishing to understand the more perplexing elements of this contemporary phemen. Continuum's Guides for the Perplexed are clear, concise and accessible introductions to thinkers, writers and subjects that students and readers can find especially challenging - or indeed downright bewildering. Concentrating specifically on what it is that makes the subject difficult to grasp, these books explain and explore key themes and ideas, guiding the reader towards a thorough understanding of demanding material.
- Author BiographyPaul Oliver is Principal Lecturer in the School of Education and Professional Development at the University of Huddersfield, UK.
- Author(s)Paul Oliver
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication17/11/2011
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleGuides for the Perplexed
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.