All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNew Seeds of Contemplation is one of Thomas Merton's most widely read and best-loved books. Christians and n-Christians alike have joined in praising it as a table successor in the meditative tradition of St. John of the Cross, The Cloud of Unkwing, and the medieval mystics, while others have compared Merton's reflections with those of Thoreau. New Seeds of Contemplation seeks to awaken the dormant inner depths of the spirit so long neglected by Western man, to nurture a deeply contemplative and mystical dimension in our lives. For Merton, Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul. For just as the wind carries thousands of winged seeds, so each moment brings with it germs of spiritual vitality that come to rest imperceptibly in the minds and wills of men. Most of these unnumbered seeds perish and are lost, because men are t prepared to receive them: for such seeds as these cant spring up anywhere except in the soil of freedom, spontaneity and love.
- Author BiographyThomas Merton (1915-1968) entered the Cistercian Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky, following his conversion to Catholicism and was ordained Father M. Louis in 1949. During the 1960s, he was increasingly drawn into a dialogue between Eastern and Western religions and domestic issues of war and racism. In 1968, the Dalai Lama praised Merton for having a more profound knowledge of Buddhism than any other Christian he had known. Thomas Merton is the author of the beloved classic The Seven Storey Mountain. Sue Monk Kidd was born in Sylvester, Georgia. During her thirties, she became deeply influenced by the work of Thomas Merton and C. G. Jung, which would impact her writing in the years ahead. She is the author of When the Heart Waits (1990), The Dance of the Dissident Daughter (1996), The Secret Life of Bees (2002), which sold 4.5 million copies worldwide, The Mermaid Chair (2005), and Firstlight (2006).
- Author(s)Thomas Merton
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication13/11/2007
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Introduction bySue Monk Kidd
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.