All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.55
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionOnce a center of transatlantic cultural exchange and the avant-garde arts, New York City has transformed into a global metropolis. This book traces a shift that took shape as cultural practices and media underwent dramatic changes: it takes us from modernist visions of urban sublimity to post-modernist cityscapes; from Hart Crane's Brooklyn Bridge to the Flushing Meadows fairgrounds; from Mina Loy's poetics to Klaus Nomi's transgressive musical performances and Jem Cohen's multimedia experiments; from Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver and the Magnum Photos portfolio to post-9/11 cinema and the photo blogs of the internet age. As we visit these urban spaces and dreamscapes, we enter territories that remain contested, dynamic locales in a city that keeps unfolding its transformative force.
- Author BiographySabine Sielke is Chair of North American Literature and Culture and Director of the North American Studies Program and the German-Canadian Centre at the University of Bonn. Her research ranges from US-American poetry and poetics to the crossroads between cultural studies and the sciences.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication05/12/2015
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleTranscription
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationBern
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight400 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited bySabine Sielke
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.