All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Newsstand was a pop-up conceptual retail store that transformed an ordinary subway hub into a mecca for independently published magazines, books, comics, and zines. Located within Brooklyn's Metropolitan Avenue L/G stop in 2013, the temporary space hosted events and art exhibitions in which the artists, acting as guest clerks, were given carte blanche to transform the space. In November 2015, The Newsstand will be re-created and built to scale at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, including the zines and books sold in its original location. The Newsstand catalogue features images of the zines, books, and ephemera sold; documentation of the events and exhibitions; images of the guest clerks and artists; essays by leading cultural figures; and interviews with the publishers, artists, commuters, MTA workers, and police officers influenced by The Newsstand. Designed in the style of a zine, this book t only documents a prolific time within independent publishing but also the thriving community that supports it.
- Author BiographyLele Saveri is an artist, photographer, curator, and founder of the art publishing collective 8-Ball Zines. Phil Aarons is president of the board of New York nonprofit Printed Matter and an avid artist's book collector. Ken Miller is a curator, writer, and the author of Shoot: Photography of the Moment and the editor of Revisionaries: A Decade of Art in Tokion.
- Author(s)Lele Saveri
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication09/02/2016
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkira Rizzoli
- Content Note32 colour and 256 black and white illustrations
- Weight1089 g
- Width241 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.72
- AU $18.22Trending at AU $21.61
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.86
- AU $43.40Trending at AU $47.45
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $36.34
- AU $43.28Trending at AU $48.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.