All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.19
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.55
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $21.31Trending at AU $24.17
- AU $11.52Trending at AU $14.32
- AU $11.88Trending at AU $15.37
- AU $23.64Trending at AU $26.68
About this product
- DescriptionNews is one of the few things that connects us as a nation, observes the protagonist in the title story of Newsworld , a new collection by Todd James Pierce that explores America's obsession with news and entertainment culture. The characters in Newsworld seek to design realistic theme park attractions, such as OJ's Bronco: The Ride and Siege at Waco, that allow park guests to experience the complexities of contemporary news events for themselves. In the story Columbine: The Musical, high school students stage a musical written as a means of discussing school violence, while their vice principal wrangles a 10 percent discount on a school security system in exchange for corporate sponsorship of the play. In Wrestling Al Gore, a national wrestling federation uses costumed wrestlers to cast the Gore/Bush election recount into the ring. In an ironic twist, fans become sympathetic to the underdog Gore, champion his cause, and ultimately reflect on the fate of the real politician. In The Yoshi Compound: A Story of Post-Waco Texas, the followers of the Dalai Yoshi amass weapons and riot gear in hopes of attracting media attention. The characters in Newsworld , like many Americans, are engulfed in a life-imitating-art phemen caused by the hyperreality presented in the media. They struggle with this overwhelming influence trying to understand whether their own lives fall within or outside of its domain.
- Author BiographyTodd James Pierce is assistant professor of English at California Polytechnic University in San Luis Obispo. He is the author of the novel The Australia Stories, and coauthor of the textbook Behind the Short Story: From First to Final Draft.
- Author(s)Todd James Pierce
- PublisherUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2006
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.