All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionOver a period of forty years Sir Apirana Ngata, distinguished leader and scholar, collected and recorded hundreds of songs and chants from the iwi of Aotearoa, which became the four volumes of Nga Moteatea, with translations and antations by Ngata and Pei te Hurinui Jones. This is the first volume of a new edition of this national treasure, the largest and most comprehensive collection of Maori waiata and a unique contribution to New Zealand poetry. It is a rich resource for continuing research and scholarship in many fields, offers prime texts in the teaching of Maori language, literature and tribal history and serves as inspiration for contemporary composition and performance. This completely redesigned and reset edition published in association with the Polynesian Society, preserves the integrity of Ngata's and Jones's and their commentary. Long vowels in Maori have been macronised and changes have been made to conform to current usage with correction of errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation. Typography has been modernised. This edition also includes two audio CDs of waiata drawn from the Archive of Maori and Pacific Music at the University of Auckland.
- Author BiographySir Apirana Ngata (Ngati Porou), 1874-1950, was a leading Maori figure, a land reformer, politician and scholar. He made a vital contribution to the revival of the Maori race in the early 20th century and is the subject of Ranginui Walker's recent biography. Jeny Curnow and Jane McRae have edited the new edition of Nga Moteatea for the Polynesian Society.
- PublisherAuckland University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2004
- LanguageEnglish & Maori
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintAuckland University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, 1 port.
- Weight1125 g
- Width185 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byApirana Ngata
- Translated byPei Te Hurinui Jones
- Contained items statementContains Hardback and 2 Audio CDs
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.