Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $174.65
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.77
- AU $23.67Trending at AU $25.41
- AU $34.18Trending at AU $36.92
- AU $31.75Trending at AU $37.28
- AU $28.90Trending at AU $35.37
About this product
- DescriptionYour school days, so the saying goes, are the happiest days of your life. But what happens to those who are excluded from mainstream school - children who are so scarred by personal trauma that rmal classroom interaction is simply t possible? Or those who cant attend through serious illness, accident, or special educational needs? If they are very lucky, they will get a one-to-one tutor, funded by the Education Authority, to help restore their often fractured lives. In Nine Lives, Ruth Brooks, a former personal tutor, recounts just a few of their heart-rending stories - children like Cassie, Aisha, Wayne, and 'Ivan the Terrible.' She digs deep to find the clues and unlock the mystery behind each child's problems - and invites the reader to do the same. With warmth, love, and a lot of detective work, she finds a unique way to reach every child, challenging us to see the vulnerability behind the behaviour. In a time of ecomic austerity and severe budgetary cuts, Ruth's direct honesty and passionate championing of the vital role played by one-to-one tuition encourages an urgent re-think by policy makers and politicians. Through a series of fly-on-the-wall sketches, Nine Lives highlights some of the educational and social problems faced by countless children and their families in the first decade of the 21st Century.
- Author(s)Ruth Brooks
- PublisherIndepenpress Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication09/09/2013
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen Press
- Weight593 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.