All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrank, enraging and captivating.' The New Yorker Australian writer Geraldine Brooks is w kwn internationally for her bestselling vels, but as a foreign correspondent Geraldine spent six years covering the Middle East. And when her poised and sophisticated assistant at the Cairo bureau of the Wall Street Journal suddenly 'adopted the uniform of a Muslim fundamentalist', Geraldine Brooks set out to discover the truth about women and Islam. Sometimes adopting a chador as camouflage, she was granted meetings (and often astonishingly intimate insights) by everyone from Queen Noor of Jordan to former Iranian President Rafsanjani's daughter. She met with Palestinians protesting about 'hour killings' for adultery and sheltered girls transformed into warriors by the Emirates' armed forces. Throughout the Middle East, Brooks was invited into the homes and lives of these women where she found real stories that overturn western stereotypes. This beautiful new edition includes a powerful new Afterword by the author.
- Author BiographyGeraldine Brooks is the Australian-born author of the bestselling novels Year of Wonders and March, for which she won the Pulitzer Prize in 2006. Her eagerly-awaited third novel, People of the Book, will be published in 2008. She is also the author of the acclaimed non-fiction works Nine Parts of Desire and Foreign Correspondence, both published in Australia by Bantam. A graduate of Sydney University and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, Brooks was a correspondent for The Wall Street Journal in Bosnia, Somalia and the Middle East. She lives in rural Virginia with her husband, the author Tony Horwitz, and their son.
- Author(s)Geraldine Brooks
- PublisherTransworld Publishers (Division of Random House Australia)
- Date of Publication03/03/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationMilsons Piont
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2008
- Weight188 g
- Width128 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.