All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first critical catalogue of the collection of nineteenth-century paintings and drawings in the Norton Simon Museum of Art. World-rewned for its strength in works by the French impressionists and post-impressionists-Monet, Reir, Gauguin, Cezanne and Van Gogh-the Museum also houses outstanding paintings by the Realist Gustave Courbet, and the Barbizon painter Camille Corot among others. Each of the 138 artworks featured in the book is illustrated in color and accompanied by a full catalogue entry, comprising critical essay exhibition and ownership history, bibliography and conservation tes. Color reproductions of comparative works from other collections-public and private-are also included. Stephen Eisenman and Richard Brettell have conjoined their unique perspectives on nineteenth-century art to summarize existing scholarship of the period, and most of all, shed new light on a collection of important but little-studied masterpieces. They have also collaborated in writing an introduction to the catalogue that for the first time places the collector Norton Simon in the historical, intellectual, and ecomic context of his time.
- Author BiographyRichard R. Brettell is Margaret McDermott Distinguished Professor of Art and Aesthetics, University of Texas at Dallas. He is the author of several books, including Gauguin and Impressionism, published by Yale University Press. Stephen F. Eisenman is professor in the Department of Art History at Northwestern University. He is the author of three previous books on nineteenth-century art and lives in Highland Park, IL.
- Author(s)Richard R. Brettell,Stephen F. Eisenman
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication26/09/2006
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Out-of-print date19/01/2016
- Content Note240 b-w + 226 color illus.
- Weight3719 g
- Width247 mm
- Height304 mm
- Spine46 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.