Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.29
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.70
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.66
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.67
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $23.62
About this product
- DescriptionJust after 7pm on the evening of Tuesday 4 March 1969, at the Old Bailey, the jurors filed back into Court 1 to give their verdict on Ronald Kray. The word 'guilty' brought to a triumphant conclusion the months of painstaking work put in by Read and his team in their efforts to bring the infamous Kray brothers to justice. Leonard Read tells his own story, that of the small Nottingham lad, nicknamed Nipper, who went to join the Metropolitan Police because of their less stringent height requirements - and who rose through the ranks to become part of the team solving the Great Train Robbery. In 1964 Read was invited to put together a team to 'have a go' at the Kray gang - the seemingly untouchable East End criminals whose reign of terror involved blackmail, protection rackets and finally murder. In an enthralling recreation of the operation, Read and Morton cover the case from the first time Nipper saw Ronald Kray in a pub in the Whitechapel Road - where he turned up flanked by minders - to the brothers' eventual arrest in May 1968 and the nailbiting suspense of their sensational trial.
- Author BiographyLeonard Read joined the Metropolitan Police in 1947 and then as a CID member was invited in 1964 to investigate the Kray gang. James Morton, former Editor-in-Chief of the New Law Journal and the author of the Gangland series, has long experience as a solicitor specialising in criminal work.
- Author(s)James Morton,Leonard Read
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication07/11/2002
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTime Warner Paperbacks
- Content NoteSection: 8, b&w
- Weight260 g
- Width111 mm
- Height177 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsA-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.