All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.73Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on the three prongs of the naval trident that President Nixon wielded during the final years of the Vietnam War: naval air power, naval bombardment, and mine warfare. For much of this period, Navy aircraft sought to hamper the flow of supplies down the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos-a huge investment in air power resources that ultimately proved fruitless. After North Vietnam's invasion of the South in 1972, however, Navy tactical aviation, as well as naval bombardment, proved critical t only in blunting the offensive but also in persuading North Vietnam to arrive at a peace agreement in Paris in 1973. For the first time in the war, the Navy was also authorized to close Haiphong Harbor and North Vietnam's other ports with naval mines-an operation that still stands out as a textbook example of how mine warfare can inflict a major ecomic and psychological blow on the enemy with minimal casualties for either side. Thus, naval power was indispensible to ending America's longest war.
- Author BiographyJohn Darrell Sherwood is a historian in the Histories and Archives Division of the Naval History and Heritage Command and is the author of Black Sailor, White Navy: Racial Unrest in the Fleet during the Vietnam War Era (2007). His next book for the Command, The Fight for the Delta, will look at the brown-water navy in Vietnam and the Sailors who fought in the Mekong River Delta. Other works by Dr. Sherwood include Afterburner: Naval Aviators and the Vietnam War (2004); Fast Movers: Jet Pilots and the Vietnam Experience (1999); and Officers in Flights Suits: The Story of American Air Force Fighter Pilots in the Korean War (1996). He earned a BA and MA in history from Columbia University and a PhD in history from The George Washington University.
- Author(s)Department Of the Navy,John Darrell Sherwood
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication23/11/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight168 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Edited byEdward J Marolda
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.