All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $42.86Free postage
- AU $44.75Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionPerhaps the greatest leader of men during the Gallipoli campaign, Lieutenant-Colonel W. G. Malone was commanding officer of the Wellington Battalion of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force at Gallipoli. He is probably the best-kwn individual from that ill-fated campaign, a result both of his humanity and his superb leadership, which culminated in the successful assault on Chunuk Bair on 8 August 1915. Malone was killed later that day. 'No Better Death' reproduces Malone's impressive and often moving correspondence and writings, as well as many striking photographs generously provided by Malone's descendants. Malone was a gifted writer and a keen observer, and his letters reveal a shrewd military intelligence and genuine care for his men. Above all, this is a story of valour and fortitude under the ermous pressure of being responsible for the lives of many others. It is also the story of a man who had an unbounded love for his family, and constantly drew on the reciprocity of that love to pull through and overcome the frustrations, fear and life-threatening situations he was forced to endure. Malone's descendants have subsequently served their country with hour, and their stories are also recorded in the book.
- Author BiographyJohn Crawford (ed.) is the New Zealand Defence Force Historian and has written on many aspects of New Zealand military history. In 2007 he edited (with Ian McGibbon) 'New Zealand's Great War', and in 2008 he edited 'The Devil's Own War: The First World War Diary of Brigadier-General Herbert Hart'.
- Author(s)William G. Malone
- PublisherExisle Publishing
- Date of Publication01/09/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintExisle Publishing
- Content NotePhotographs
- Weight1202 g
- Width184 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byJohn Crawford
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.59Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.