Save on Textbooks
- AU $28.12Trending at AU $33.15
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.33
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.66
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $44.93
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.12
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.03
- AU $49.56Trending at AU $56.09
About this product
- DescriptionPrimarily an autobiography, No Dear, That's a Pheasant - We're Peasants is full of hints and tips for anybody looking to embark on the road to self-sufficiency through a smallholding. Throughout the book there are tips on growing a variety of crops, pitfalls and things to look out for and potential outlets for producing an income from sales. If you have ever thought about living the 'good life', then this book is proof of one couple who did.
- Author BiographyBy 1953 I had been a full-time farm worker for eleven years, including seven years in the Women's Land Army. I had no capital, so was unable to farm on my own account. I was awarded a scholarship, and obtained a place at Newcastle-on-Tyne to study for a Degree in Agriculture. Having obtained A levels in Physics, Chemistry and Biology at Kingston-on-Thames Technical College, I was able to go directly into the second year of the degree course. This meant that I could do honours for the final third year. During the summer vacations I was sent to work at the National Institute of Agricultural Botany in Cambridge. While there I met my future husband, Eugene, and we married as soon as I completed my studies in 1958. Eugene had been a farmer at home in Western Ukraine before joining the Polish Army from 1939 to 1945. As he had no other skills and no capital, and I had spent too much time out of doors to settle for a sedentary lifestyle, we decided to get a small acreage of land and see what we could do. Having built up the holding we depended on it for a significant contribution to our income for twenty-five years and for our entire income for twelve of these years. Some of the chapters in this book deal with different crops, and all the ways of selling we used to maximise our income.
- Author(s)Sonia Kurta
- PublisherMelrose Books
- Date of Publication01/02/2012
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationEly
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMelrose Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.