All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn 3 July 1961, Ian Parsons reported to RCMP Depot Division in Regina as a raw recruit. It was the beginning of a 33-year adventure that took him from Newfoundland to Vancouver Island and many points between. By the time he retired with the rank of inspector, Parsons had a policeman's trunk full of colourful stories and insightful observations that he w shares in this memoir. Parsons writes candidly of his many roles within the RCMP, from postings in rural detachments, where he dealt with diverse policing issues, to stints teaching at the Canadian Police College in Ottawa and at the RCMP Academy in Regina. Always an independent thinker, Parsons lectured sometimes-resistant RCMP senior officers on the adoption of new ways and helped introduce programs to modernise recruit training and make it more relevant to the demands of a rapidly changing Canadian society. In recent years, Parsons has observed the troubled state and tarnished reputation of his beloved force as it faces crisis after crisis. Against the entertaining backdrop of his life in red serge, he gives a thoughtful assessment of things gone wrong in the iconic institution and identifies the drastic steps necessary to save it.
- Author BiographyIan Parsons was born in Kamsack, Saskatchewan. Formally trained as a musician, he joined the Lord Strathconas Horse Regimental Band in Calgary, Alberta, and in 1961 he enlisted with the RCMP. During his 33 years with the force, he served in many capacities, including as an academic instructor, researcher and management trainer. As an inspector, he coordinated complex policing entities. He has worked in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Newfoundland, Manitoba and BC. Ian has a BA from Carleton University, majoring in psychology and law, and holds certificates in general and advanced police studies from the Canadian Police College. He lives in Courtenay, BC.
- Author(s)Ian T. Parsons
- PublisherHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationBritish Columbia
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight316 g
- Width140 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.31Trending at AU $28.10
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.