All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.08Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.33Trending at AU $76.94
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $27.17Trending at AU $37.56
About this product
- DescriptionCAN PARENTS AVOID THE OVERACHIEVEMENT TRAP AND STILL RAISE SUCCESSFUL CHILDREN? In America's hypercompetitive culture, children are being suffocated by our quest to make them the best. As competitive parenting has been on the rise since the 1980s, so have rates of teen suicide, eating disorders, depression, and drug use. Yet the cycle of push parenting doesn't show signs of slowing down. Our children today are competing with classmates who began listening to Mozart in utero and were enrolled in educational classes at the ages of two and three. Under these circumstances, parents feel that they cant afford to opt out. No More Push Parenting offers solutions for parents caught up by the need to push their children to the top, those parents who don't want to push but worry that their children may t measure up. With her fifteen-plus years of clinical experience, Dr. Elisabeth Guthrie provides targeted, prescriptive alternatives to the problem of push parenting, supported by the illustrative case studies of real children who are and aren't succeeding--and why. She explores the ways in which children are hindered emotionally and intellectually by the pressure to succeed that they often feel from parents on a daily basis. Helping parents discover the fine line between good parenting and pressure parenting, Dr. Guthrie provides them with the permission to do less pushing without sacrificing their ideals for their children, and offers techniques that they can use to deflect the pressure to push while still providing healthy encouragement. With tips for enhancing the development of every child's unique set of talents, the book is a vital reality check for anyone concerned about what's really best for kids.
- Author BiographyElisabeth Guthrie, M.D., is Clinical Director of the Learning Diagnostic Center at Blythedale Children's Hospital in Valhalla, New York. The mother of three children, she lives in Riverdale, New York. Kathy Matthews is the bestselling author of numerous books, including The SavvyMom's Guide to Medical Care, which she coauthored with Dr. Pam Gallin. The mother of two sons, she lives in Pelham, New York. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Elisabeth Guthrie,Kathy Matthews
- PublisherBroadway Books
- Date of Publication14/01/2003
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBroadway Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight222 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.