All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $183.03
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $70.92
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.77
- AU $34.18Trending at AU $36.92
- AU $31.75Trending at AU $37.28
- AU $28.90Trending at AU $35.37
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $19.71
About this product
- DescriptionAn excellent account of the many ways in which slaves participated in bringing down the greatest evil in our nation's history. - KIRKUS REVIEWS (starred review) A man who cant swim leaps off a slave ship into the dark water. A girl defies the law by secretly learning to read and write. A future abolitionist regains his will to live by fighting off his captor with his bare hands: I will t let you use me like a brute any longer, Frederick Douglass vows. Drawing from authentic accounts, here is a chrology of resistance in all its forms: comical trickster tales about outwitting Old Marsa ; secret hush harbors where Africans instill Christian worship with their own rituals; and spirituals such as Go Down Moses, whose coded lyrics signal t just hope for deliverance, but an active call to escape. Boldly illustrated with extraordinary oil paintings by award-winning artist Shane W. Evans, and meticulously researched by Doreen Rappaport, this stunning collection - spanning the period from the early days of slavery to the Emancipation Proclamation - is an invaluable resource for teachers, parents, libraries, students, and people everywhere who care about what it means to be free, what it is to be human.
- Author BiographyDoreen Rappaport is the author of numerous books for young readers, including FREEDOM RIVER, illustrated by Bryan Collier and winner of a Coretta Scott King Honor Award for Illustration. About creating NO MORE!, Doreen Rappaport says, Writing a book educates the writer. The inventive defiance, humanity, and resistance forged by African Americans under the horrors of slavery reinforced for me the power of individual dignity and community. Doreen Rappaport divides her time between New York City and a rural village in upstate New York. Shane W. Evans is the illustrator of several children s books, including OSCEOLA, edited by Alan Govenar and winner of a BOSTON GLOBE-HORN BOOK Honor Award and the Orbis Pictus Award for outstanding nonfiction. When working on NO MORE!, Shane W. Evans felt that his challenge was to share the reality and darkness of slavery through painting. As he explains, It is my goal to paint beautiful images, yet the subjects I depict are not always beautiful. Shane W. Evans lives in Missouri.
- PublisherCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/08/2005
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width243 mm
- Height290 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Sewn
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.