Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
About this product
- DescriptionNo Votes for Women explores the complicated history of the suffrage movement in New York State by delving into the stories of women who opposed the expansion of voting rights to women. Susan Goodier finds that conservative women who fought against suffrage encouraged women to retain their distinctive feminine identities as protectors of their homes and families, a role they felt was threatened by the imposition of masculine political responsibilities. She details the victories and defeats on both sides of the movement from its start in the 1890s to its end in the 1930s, ackwledging the powerful activism of this often overlooked and misunderstood political force in the history of women's equality.
- Author BiographySusan Goodier is scholar-in-residence at Hamilton College and museum consultant at the Matilda Joslyn Gage Foundation in Fayetteville, New York.
- Author(s)Susan Goodier
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2013
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleWomen in American History
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note13 black and white photographs
- Weight499 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.