All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGauguin's great diary from Tahiti almost never saw the light of day in its original form. The manuscript was sent by the artist from his island refuge to his friend Charles Morice in Paris, and published in 1901 with immediate success, under the two names of Paul Gauguin and Charles Morice. Morice, with Gauguin's permission, had 'edited' and enlarged it to make it more readable. How much of the charm and cripsness of the manuscript had been lost in the process was anyone's guess. It was to be forty years before Gauguin's original version came to light, and it is published here in a translation by the poet Jonathan Griffin, together with a detailed description by the art historian Jean Loize, who re-discovered themanuscript. Loize shows that Morice had in parts altered Gauguin's text beyond recognition - a startling discovery that entirely changed ideas about Gauguin's style and intentions. This genuine version of Noa-Noa is t only an important document, it is also a beautiful piece of writing: amusing, acid, wide-eyed, moving. Gauguin feared that, unedited, it would seem absurdly crude; and doubt it would have, to most readers in his day.Today we can appreciate its sketch form, jerky directness, authentic freshness. This edition is illustrated with the watercolours, wood-engravings and drawings that Gauguin assembled for the book.
- Author BiographyPaul Gauguin (1848-1903) escaped a career as a stockbroker in Denmark to paint. Although he has since become recognised as one of the founders of modern art, he found it difficult to make a living, and in 1891 sailed for Polynesia to escape 'civilisation'. He stayed there, on and off, till his death in the Marquesas islands twelve years later.
- Author(s)Paul Gauguin
- PublisherPallas Athene Publishers
- Date of Publication11/10/2010
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPallas Athene Arts
- Content Note31
- Weight113 g
- Width115 mm
- Height145 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Edited byJean Loize
- Illustrator(s)Paul Gauguin
- Translated byJonathan Griffin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.