All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book introduces stochastic dynamical systems theory in order to synthesize our current kwledge of climate variability. Nonlinear processes, such as advection, radiation and turbulent mixing, play a central role in climate variability. These processes can give rise to transition phemena, associated with tipping or bifurcation points, once external conditions are changed. The theory of dynamical systems provides a systematic way to study these transition phemena. Its stochastic extension also forms the basis of modern (nlinear) data analysis techniques, predictability studies and data assimilation methods. Early chapters apply the stochastic dynamical systems framework to a hierarchy of climate models to synthesize current kwledge of climate variability. Later chapters analyse phemena such as the North Atlantic Oscillation, El Ni/Southern Oscillation, Atlantic Multidecadal Variability, Dansgaard-Oeschger events, Pleistocene ice ages and climate predictability. This book will prove invaluable for graduate students and researchers in climate dynamics, physical oceagraphy, meteorology and paleoclimatology.
- Author BiographyHenk A. Dijkstra is Professor of Dynamical Oceanography at the Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Utrecht University, The Netherlands. His main research interests are in the application of dynamical systems methods to problems in climate variability and climate modeling. He is the author of Nonlinear Physical Oceanography (2nd edition, 2005) and Dynamical Oceanography (2008). He is a member of the Dutch Royal Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 2005, he received the Lewis Fry Richardson medal from the European Geosciences Union and in 2009 he was elected a Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- Author(s)Henk A. Dijkstra
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication17/06/2013
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note289 b/w illus. 13 colour illus. 11 tables
- Weight950 g
- Width177 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.