All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Noonday, Pat Barker - the Man Booker-winning author of the definitive WWI trilogy, Regeneration - turns for the first time to WWII. 'Afterwards, it was the horses she remembered, galloping towards them out of the orange-streaked darkness, their manes and tails on fire...' London, the Blitz, autumn 1940. As the bombs fall on the blacked-out city, ambulance driver Elir Brooke races from bomb sites to hospitals trying to save the lives of injured survivors, working alongside former friend Kit Neville, while her husband Paul works as an air-raid warden. Once fellow students at the Slade School of Fine Art, before the First World War destroyed the hopes of their generation, they w find themselves caught in ather war, this time at home. As the bombing intensifies, the constant risk of death makes all three of them reach out for quick consolation. Old loves and obsessions re-surface until Elir is brought face to face with an almost impossible choice. Completing the story of Elir Brooke, Paul Tarrant and Kit Neville, begun with Life Class and continued with Toby's Room, Noonday is both a stand-alone vel and the climax of a trilogy. Writing about the Second World War for the first time, Pat Barker brings the besieged and haunted city of London into electrifying life in her most powerful vel since the Regeneration trilogy. Praise for Pat Barker: She is t only a fine chronicler of war but of human nature. (Independent). A brilliant stylist...Barker delves unflinchingly into the enduring mysteries of human motivation. (Sunday Telegraph). You go to her for plain truths, a driving storyline and a clear eye, steadily facing the history of our world. (The Guardian). Barker is a writer of crispness and clarity and an unflinching seeker of the germ of what it means to be human. (The Herald). Praise for Toby's Room: Heart-rending, superb, forensically observant and stylistically sublime . (Independent). Magnificent; I finished it eagerly, wanting to kw what happened next, and as I read, I was enjoying, marvelling and learning . (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie). Dark, painful, yet also tender. It succeeds brilliantly . (New York Times). The plot unfurls to a devastating conclusion ...a very fine piece of work . (Melvyn Bragg, New Statesman). Other titles in the trilogy: Life, Class, Toby's Room.
- Author BiographyPat Barker was born in 1943. She is the author of Union Street, Blow your House Down, The Century's Daughter, The Man Who Wasn't There, the Regeneration Trilogy (Regeneration, The Eye in the Door and The Ghost Road), Another World, Border Crossing, Double Vision, and the Life Class Trilogy (Life Class, Toby's Room and Noonday). Pat Barker lives in Durham.
- Author(s)Pat Barker
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication27/08/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHamish Hamilton Ltd
- Out-of-print date16/11/2016
- Weight504 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.61Trending at AU $31.89
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.92
- AU $29.93Trending at AU $31.44
- AU $46.04Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $12.75Trending at AU $13.19
- AU $19.76Trending at AU $20.49
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.