All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.55Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.42
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $31.26
- AU $46.04Trending at AU $52.51
- AU $12.73Trending at AU $13.11
- AU $19.73Trending at AU $20.72
- AU $30.94Trending at AU $31.23
About this product
- DescriptionVasantha is a van driver for hire, ferrying aid workers, returning exiles, and tentative entrepreneurs across the battle-scarred landscapes of Sri Lanka. The civil war is finally over, but the traumas of the past are still haunting. Behind the facade of peace we are made to remember the war: mysterious hoteliers conceal scars under their collars; genial old soldiers are secretly identified as perpetrators of brutal crimes; young Sinhalese men pine after Tamil girls whose brothers died by their hands. Vasantha keeps his own counsel, lingering on the periphery of his passengers' stories, but as time goes on he reveals a little of his own story too. Perceptive, sombre and finely-tuned, Noontide Toll paints an extraordinary portrait of a post-war Sri Lanka grappling with the ghosts of its troubled past.
- Author BiographyROMESH GUNESEKERA grew up in Sri Lanka and now lives in London. His debut novel Reef was shortlisted for the Booker Prize and the Guardian Fiction Prize in 1994 and won the Yorkshire Post First Work Prize. In 1997 he was awarded the prestigious Premio Mondello award in Italy. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in 2004. He is the author of numerous novels and short story collections, including Reef, Monkfish Moon and The Sandglass, all of which are published by Granta Books.
- PrizesShortlisted for Gordon Burn Prize 2015. Long-listed for DSC Prize for South Asian Literature 2015.
- Author(s)Romesh Gunesekera
- PublisherGranta Books
- Date of Publication03/07/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGranta Books
- Weight248 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.