All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
About this product
- DescriptionVincenzo Bellini's Norma, first produced at La Scala, Milan, in 1831, is widely regarded as the greatest achievement of the bel canto era. Its title role, sung at the premiere by Giuditta Pasta, has been undertaken in more recent times by Maria Callas, Joan Sutherland and Monserrat Caballe and remains one of the supremely challenging sopra parts in the operatic repertory. The opera tells of the conflicting loyalties of the High Priestess of the Druids, Norma, who is torn between her duty to her people and her love for the father of her two children, the proconsul of the occupying Roman forces in Gaul.The guide contains articles on the background to the opera and the development of bel canto, a detailed examination of its musical structure and a survey of its performance history, dealing in particular with the approaches of some of the many distinguished singers who have appeared in its principal roles. There is also a discussion of the contentious issue of which voice-types should more appropriately be singing each of the two leading female characters. The guide includes the full libretto with English translation, sixteen pages of illustrations, a musical thematic guide, a discography, a bibliography.
- Author BiographyVincenzo Bellini (1801-1835) is known as one of the greatest composers of the 19th century and the quintessential composer of the Italian bel canto era. He was born in Catania in 1801 and was recognised as a musical prodigy when studying at the NaplesConservatory. His most famous works are Il pirata (1827), La sonnambula (1827), I Capuleti e i Montecchi and Norma (1831). He spent much of his life in Northern Italy and Paris, before dying tragically in Puteaux, France at the age of only 33.
- Author(s)Vincenzo Bellini
- PublisherOneworld Classics Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationRichmond
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOverture Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.