The North American Aviation P-51 Mustang, designed and built by North American Aviation, was a long-range single-seat World War II fighter aircraft. Less than three months after the contract was signed, the prototype NA-73X airframe was rolled out, and although it was still minus an engine, this was a remarkable feat of aviation engineering that changed the face of aerial warfare. The first production Mustangs were used by the Royal Air Force as tactical-reconnaissance aircraft and fighter-bombers; then as bomber escorts in raids over Germany by the USAAF's Eighth Air Force. The D- model development began in 1943, with a view to improving the poor rearward visibility and inadequate firepower of the four machine guns, which were prone to jamming. The P-51D included a Plexiglass bubble capy mounted in a very deep, rubber-lined metal sill and six .50 calibre machine guns, mounted upright instead of at an angle to minimise jams. The P-51K Mustang was similar to the P-51D, but had a Aeroproducts propeller instead of the Hamilton propeller used for the B, C and D models. Many P-51Ds were refurbished and renamed as Cavaliers F-51Ds after their military service, gaining a new lease of life as well-equiped civilian business aircraft. This book contains invaluable information on these two lives of the P-51 Mustang for the enthusiast and modeller, including many black and white photos never seen before, and highly detailed colour profiles of the D/K variant, by far the most numerous P-51 model and also the best kwn.