All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionHenry W. Shoemaker was already an established writer of Pennsylvania's popular folklore by the time North Pennsylvania Minstrelsy was published in 1919. While much of Shoemaker's previous work was literary folklore, this volume comprises his first collection of ballads and what has been argued to be one of his most significant contributions to the scholarly folklore conversation. Compiled by Shoemaker over two decades, with the assistance of John C. French and John H. Chatham, this volume includes over one hundred songs and ballads from Union, Snyder, Centre, Lycoming, Clinton, Tioga, Potter, McKean, Forest, Cameron, Elk, and Clearfield Counties in Pennsylvania. Shoemaker prefaced much of his work with words on preserving the wilderness, and with it the romantic simplicity of the preindustrial golden age of Pennsylvania. In this volume, he ties the ballads to this ideal by ting, Work without music is too modern, too grinding; it was t the life for the Pennsylvania mountaineer whose soul overflowed with melody...Simplicity was his foremost vital trait; he was close to the Eternal Source and the harmonies of Nature. This facsimile edition of Shoemaker's 1919 original publication includes ballads and fragments of ballads from across the rthern counties, accompanied by Shoemaker's introduction and antations to each ballad, which often include context as well as the name of the county where it was collected and whom it was collected from.
- Author Biography<strong>Henry W. Shoemaker</strong> (1880-1958) was the author of over twenty volumes of popular Pennsylvania literary folklore during the first half of the twentieth century.
- Author(s)Henry W. Shoemaker
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1919
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight236 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.