Save on Audio Books
- AU $28.19Trending at AU $28.54
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $45.20Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $44.90Trending at AU $48.40
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $42.29Trending at AU $46.12
- AU $25.76Trending at AU $33.06
About this product
- DescriptionTo celebrate the 200th anniversary of Elizabeth Gaskell's birth, we embark on a series of unabridged and abridged recordings of her major vels. North and South follows our widely-praised recording of Cranford (2008), transporting the listener to the heart of Victorian England by vividly delineating the social landscape and an unlikely romance which flourishes within it. Saddened to be leaving behind the sophistication of the South, Margaret Hale approaches her new life in the unrefined, industrialised North with dread. Appalled at the poverty, struggle, and mean conditions that surround her, her revulsion particularly centres on the factory owner John Thornton. Yet, when circumstances conspire to bring them together, Margaret begins to see past crude stereotypes. Conjuring up a fantastic sense of time and place, Gaskell's vel of romantic suspense and changing perceptions, is a sheer delight in the hands of Manchester-born reader, Clare Wille.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
- PublisherNaxos AudioBooks
- Date of Publication01/02/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleClassic Fiction
- Place of PublicationHong Kong
- Country of PublicationHong Kong
- ImprintNaxos AudioBooks
- Read byClare Wille
- Contained items statement16 Audio CDs
- Running Time1200
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.