All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionForced to move from the rural tranquillity of southern England to the turbulent rthern mill town of Milton, Margaret Hale takes an instant dislike to the dirt and ise that seems to characterize her new home and its inhabitants - even the handsome and charismatic cotton mill owner, John Thornton. But as she begins to settle in, and to understand the nature of the surrounding poverty and injustice, events conspire to throw her and Thornton together. Amidst the chaos of industrial unrest, they must learn to overcome the prejudices of class and circumstance and admit their feelings for one ather. One of literature's greatest romances, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell is both an incisive social commentary and an electric portrayal of all-conquering love. This Macmillan Collector's Library edition of North and South features an afterword by Kathryn White. Designed to appeal to the booklover, the Macmillan Collector's Library is a series of beautiful gift editions of much loved classic titles. Macmillan Collector's Library are books to love and treasure.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell was born in London in 1810. Her mother, Eliza, the niece of the potter Josiah Wedgwood, died when she was a child. Much of her childhood was spent in Knutsford, Cheshire, a town she would later immortalize as Cranford. In 1832 she married a Unitarian minister, William Gaskell, and they settled in Manchester. The industrial surroundings offered her inspiration for her writings and it was here that she wrote both Cranford (1853) and North and South (1855), as well as the first biography of Charlotte Bronte. Her last novel, Wives and Daughters, said by many to be her most mature work, remained unfinished at the time of her death in 1865.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Gaskell
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication18/05/2017
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleMacmillan Collector's Library
- Series Part/Volume Number130
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMacmillan Collector's Library
- Width100 mm
- Height156 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edition StatementNew Edition
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.41Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.11Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.