All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionSioux Falls is the largest city in South Dakota, although it would barely register as a small town in some states. But it is blessed with a rich history and distinct and unique neighbourhoods, the soul of any urban setting. Born and raised in Sioux Falls, author, photographer, and former state senator Tom Dempster kws the neighbourhoods that form the basis of this book as well as anyone. His eye for a beautiful photograph is enhanced by his intimate awareness of the people, buildings, and vibe that make a neighbourhood what it is. North of Twelfth Street focuses on three historic districts, as well as a collection of other rth Sioux Falls sites. The Downtown Historic District, the Old Courthouse and Warehouse District, and the Cathedral Historic District contain some of the city's best-kwn and most-revered buildings, and many different people call those areas home. Framing these districts with the lens of his camera, Dempster provides a window into this grand old city, its iconic edifices, and the people who live there. In a historical overview, retired Augustana College history professor Gary D. Olson provides context for Dempster's stunning photography, offering insight into the immigration that has created Sioux Falls and its architecture. His essay exposes the historical foundations upon which the city was built.
- Author BiographyTom Dempster served as a Minnehaha County commissioner for nine years and in the South Dakota State Senate from 2001 to 2010 and continues to reside in Sioux Falls. His photography can be found in museums and private collections throughout the region. Gary D. Olson is a former academic dean and professor of history at Augustana College in Sioux Falls.
- PublisherSouth Dakota State Historical Society
- Date of Publication30/09/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationPierre
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouth Dakota State Historical Society
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations, maps
- Weight907 g
- Width279 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.