All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe concept of Colouredness-being neither white r black-has been pivotal to the brand of racial thinking particular to South African society. The nature of Coloured identity and its heritage of oppression has always been a matter of intense political and ideological contestation. Not White Eugh, Not Black Eugh: Racial Identity in the South African Coloured Community is the first systematic study of Coloured identity, its history, and its relevance to South African national life. Mohamed Adhikari engages with the debates and controversies thrown up by the identity's troubled existence and challenges much of the conventional wisdom associated with it. A combination of wide-ranging thematic analyses and detailed case studies illustrates how Colouredness functioned as a social identity from the time of its emergence in the late nineteenth century through its adaptation to the postapartheid environment. Adhikari demonstrates how the interplay of marginality, racial hierarchy, assimilationist aspirations, negative racial stereotyping, class divisions, and ideological conflicts helped mold people's sense of Colouredness over the past century. Kwledge of this history, and of the social and political dynamic that informed the articulation of a separate Coloured identity, is vital to an understanding of present-day complexities in South Africa.
- Author BiographyMohamed Adhikari lectures in the Department of Historical Studies, University of Cape Town. His books include Let Us Live for Our Children : The Teachers' League of South Africa, 1913-1940, and he coedited South Africa's Resistance Press: Alternative Voices in the Last Generation under Apartheid (Ohio, 2000).
- Author(s)Mohamed Adhikari
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2005
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleOhio RIS Africa Series
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Monographs in International Studies
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight322 g
- Width3556 mm
- Height5487 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.