All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom 1935 until his death, Albert Camus kept a series of tebooks to sketch out ideas for future works, record snatches of conversations and excerpts from books he was reading, and jot down his reflections on death and the horror of war, his feelings about women and loneliness and art, and his appreciations for the Algerian sun and sea. These three volumes, w available together for the first time in paperback, include all entries made from the time when Camus was still completely unkwn in Europe, until he was killed in an automobile accident in 1960, at the height of his creative powers. In 1957 he had been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. A spiritual and intellectual autobiography, Camus' Notebooks are invariably more concerned with what he felt than with what he did. It is intriguing for the reader to watch him seize and develop certain themes and ideas, discard others that at first seemed promising, and explore different types of experience. Although the Notebooks may have served Camus as a practice ground, the prose is of superior quality, which makes a short spontaneous vignette or a moment of sensuous beauty quickly captured on the page a small work of art. Here is a record of one of the most unusual minds of our time.
- Author BiographyAlbert Camus was born in Mondovi, Algeria, in 1913. In occupied France in 1942 he published The Myth of Sisyphus and The Stranger, a philosophical essay and a novel which first brought him to the attention of intellectual circles. Among his other major writings are the essay The Rebel, three widely praised works of fiction, The Plague, The Fall, and Exile and the Kingdom, and his plays.
- Author(s)Albert Camus
- PublisherIvan R Dee, Inc
- Date of Publication16/09/2010
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIvan R Dee, Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight390 g
- Width147 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byJustin O'Brien
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.88Trending at AU $88.25
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.42
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.79
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $45.09
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.35
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.