All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA request in 1780 by the French legation to the United States to learn more about the newly formed thirteen states of America stimulated in Jefferson, as he later described it, a mysterious obligation for making me much better acquainted with my own country than I ever was before. Written during his first term as goverr of Virginia, Notes on the State of Virginia is at once a scientific discourse, an attempt to define America, and an examination of the idea of freedom. With the same genius and clear, flexible prose style that informs the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson chronicles Virginia's natural, social, and political history. In his introduction to this antated edition, which discusses the work's origins and composition, Frank Shuffelton focuses particularly on Jefferson's response to contemporary scientific writings on New World degeneracy, his differing treatment of blacks and Native Americans, and his influential role in creating a mythicized American self-image.
- Author(s)Thomas Jefferson
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication03/12/1998
- Series TitlePenguin Classics S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date29/01/2010
- Weight249 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Introduction byFrank Shuffleton
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.59
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.