Nothing Ever Dies: Vietnam and the Memory of War by Viet Thanh Nguyen (Hardback, 2016)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.02Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.00Free postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by thebooksaver
- Est. delivery by 8 Nov
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll wars are fought twice, the first time on the battlefield, the second time in memory. From the author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning vel The Sympathizer comes a searching exploration of the conflict Americans call the Vietnam War and Vietnamese call the American War--a conflict that lives on in the collective memory of both nations.From a kaleidoscope of cultural forms--vels, memoirs, cemeteries, monuments, films, photography, museum exhibits, video games, souvenirs, and more--Nothing Ever Dies brings a comprehensive vision of the war into sharp focus. At stake are ethical questions about how the war should be remembered by participants that include t only Americans and Vietnamese but also Laotians, Cambodians, South Koreans, and Southeast Asian Americans. Too often, memorials valorize the experience of one's own people above all else, horing their sacrifices while demonizing the enemy --or, most often, igring combatants and civilians on the other side altogether. Visiting sites across the United States, Southeast Asia, and Korea, Viet Thanh Nguyen provides penetrating interpretations of the way memories of the war help to enable future wars or struggle to prevent them.Drawing from this war, Nguyen offers a lesson for all wars by calling on us to recognize t only our shared humanity but our ever-present inhumanity. This is the only path to reconciliation with our foes, and with ourselves. Without reconciliation, war's truth will be impossible to remember, and war's trauma impossible to forget.
- Author BiographyViet Thanh Nguyen is Associate Professor of English and American Studies & Ethnicity at the University of Southern California.
- Author(s)Viet Thanh Nguyen
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication19/04/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight562 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.89
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.