All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.74
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
About this product
- DescriptionThe essays in the first part of this book, Art and Aesthetics, are devoted to the invention and development of aesthetics as a discipline. The essays topics range from the nature of analytic aesthetics and the invention of modern aesthetics to tions of the aesthetic and of aesthetics. Further study in this part explores the aesthetic turn, Bourdieu's critique of aesthetics and understanding and appreciating art. The second part, Music, Literature, and Painting, deals with questions of form and content, musical formalism, Susanne Langer's theory of music as well as with the analogy between ornament and music and the values of literature. In addition, there is an essay on Northern Light and Darkness in Music and Painting. The third part, Heidegger and the Essence of Art, is devoted to Heidegger's philosophy of art, in particular to the role he assigns to van Gogh and Hoelderlin. And in the fourth and final part, Modernity/Postmodernity and Culture, postmodern conceptions of history and Lyotard's theory of the postmodern sublime are discussed, and in the last essay the challenge of evolutionary psychology to the humanities is addressed.
- Author BiographyLars-Olof Ahlberg was Professor of Aesthetics at the Department of Philosophy, Uppsala University (Sweden). He was President of the Nordic Society of Aesthetics 1997-2007 and editor of The Nordic Journal of Aesthetics.
- Author(s)Lars-Olof Ahlberg
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication31/10/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight650 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.