All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionNovel Nostalgias: The Aesthetics of Antagonism in Nineteenth-Century U.S. Literature establishes how the longing to recover a lost home or past drove some of the central conflicts of the nineteenth-century United States. Providing one of the few U.S. literary histories that examines cultural material from both before and after the Civil War, John Funchion argues that a diverse array of vels, from William Wells Brown s Clotel to L. Frank Baum s The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, imagined new politically and antagonistically charged communities through forms of stalgic longing. In contrast with studies that characterized the nineteenth-century U.S. vel as a consensus-generating form complicit with disciplinary culture, Funchion shows how vels shaped a series of culture wars by advancing antagonistic stalgias. Southern slave owners and their slaves or industrial magnates and their union opponents alike enlisted the power of stalgia to validate their rival visions of the nation as lost moments awaiting recovery. Antagonistic stalgias legitimated the political claims of movements as diverse as abolitionism, sectionalism, populism, socialism, anarchism, and cosmopolitanism. Novel Nostalgias provides a deep cultural historical understanding of the nineteenth-century United States, but ultimately, it also allows for a better understanding of how twenty-first-century movements function.
- Author BiographyJohn Funchion is Assistant Professor of English and American Studies at the University of Miami.
- Author(s)John Funchion
- PublisherOhio State University Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio State University Press
- Weight386 g
- Width160 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.