All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.73Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
About this product
- DescriptionThe book offers a new approach to information theory that is more general then the classical approach by Shann. The classical definition of information is given for an alphabet of symbols or for a set of mutually exclusive propositions (a partition of the probability space OMEGA) with corresponding probabilities adding up to 1. The new definition is given for an arbitrary cover of OMEGA, i.e. for a set of possibly overlapping propositions. The generalized information concept is called velty and it is accompanied by two new concepts derived from it, designated as information and surprise, which describe opposite versions of velty, information being related more to classical information theory and surprise being related more to the classical concept of statistical significance. In the discussion of these three concepts and their interrelations several properties or classes of covers are defined, which turn out to be lattices. The book also presents applications of these new concepts, mostly in statistics and in neuroscience.
- Author BiographyGunther Palm studied mathematics in Hamburg and Tubingen. After completing his studies in mathematics (Master in 1974, Ph.D. in 1975) he worked on nonlinear systems, associative memory and brain theory at the MPI for Biological Cybernetics in Tubingen. In 1983/84 he was a Fellow at the Wissenschaftskolleg in Berlin. From 1988 to 1991 he was professor for theoretical brain research at the University of Dusseldorf. Since then he has served as a professor for computer science and Director of the Institute of Neural Information Processing at the University of Ulm, where his focus is on information theory, pattern recognition, neural networks, and brain modelling.
- Author(s)Gunther Palm
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication31/08/2012
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Notebiography
- Weight562 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.