All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionFunctional foods and nutraceuticals, dietary supplements, and natural antioxidants have established their potential roles in the protection of human health against disease. Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods in Human Health and Disease Prevention examines the benefits, efficacy, and success of properly designed nutraceuticals and functional foods in human health and their possible application in disease prevention. The book demonstrates diverse disease pathophysiology and how nutraceuticals and functional food can be used to combat and prevent disease. The book discusses global food habits and trends, safety and toxicology, and how food addiction or overindulgence of food can lead to a variety of disease states. It then highlights how supplements help in disease prevention. Although a significant number of nutraceuticals and functional foods have demonstrated their efficacy, a large number of supplements are still surviving on false claims. Therefore, the editors underscore risks and benefits, and why government regulatory agencies are so critical of these nutraceutical supplements. With the global nutraceuticals market expected to reach $204.8 billion by 2017, what once seemed a very niche sector has become big business. An overview of nutraceuticals and functional foods and their application in human health, this book exhaustively covers antioxidants, functional foods, and nutraceuticals in human health and disease prevention. With contributions from experts and pioneers, the book gives insight into the role of functional foods in optimal diet and exercise.
- Author BiographyDebasis Bagchi, PhD, MACN, CNS, MAIChE, received his PhD in medicinal chemistry in 1982. He is a professor in the Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, Texas, and the chief scientific officer of Cepham Research Center, Piscataway, New Jersey. Dr. Bagchi is an adjunct faculty in Texas Southern University, Houston, Texas. He served as the senior vice president of research and development of InterHealth Nutraceuticals Inc, Benicia, California, from 1998 until February 2011, and then as director of innovation and clinical affairs, of Iovate Health Sciences, Oakville, Ontario, until June 2013. Dr. Bagchi received the Master of American College of Nutrition Award in October 2010. He is the past chairman of International Society of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods, immediate past president of the American College of Nutrition, Clearwater, Florida, and past chair of the Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods Division of the Institute of Food Technologists, Chicago, Illinois. He is serving as a distinguished advisor on the Japanese Institute for Health Food Standards, Tokyo, Japan. Dr. Bagchi is a member of the Study Section and the Peer Review Committee of the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland. Dr. Bagchi has 304 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 26 books, and numerous patents. He has delivered invited lectures in various national and international scientific conferences and organized workshops, and group discussion sessions. Dr. Bagchi is also a member of the Society of Toxicology, member of the New York Academy of Sciences, fellow of the Nutrition Research Academy, and member of the TCE stakeholder Committee of the Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the associate editor of the Journal of Functional Foods, Journal of the American College of Nutrition, and Archives of Medical and Biomedical Research, and also serves as editorial board member of numerous peer-reviewed journals, including Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, Cancer Letters, Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods, and The Original Internist. Dr. Anand Swaroop earned his MS in biochemistry and PhD in chemistry in 1997. He has gathered over two decades of diversified global management experience in phytopharmaceuticals, global regulations on nutraceuticals and functional foods, chemicals and pharmaceutical ingredients, outsourcing and supply chain management, business development, market research, and strategic planning. He has worked in various multinational pharmaceutical companies including Alembic Ltd. (Vadodara, India), Cadila Laboratories Ltd. (Ahmedabad, India), Nandesari Rasayanee Ltd. (Vadodara, India), Dai-Ichi Laboratories Ltd. (Hyderabad, India), and Yag Mag Labs Pvt. Ltd. (Hyderabad, India) in senior management positions. Currently, he is the founder president of Cepham Inc., Yag Mag Inc., and RALLIFE Inc. (Piscataway, New Jersey) and Cepham Life Sciences Inc. (MD). Dr. Swaroop has several peer-reviewed publications. He is a member of the American Chemical Society (ACS), American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS), American Society of Pharmacognosy (ASP), Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN), American Botanical Council (ABC), and Natural Products Association (NPA). Dr. Swaroop has organized and chaired numerous sessions in the annual meetings of the Institutes of Food Technologists (IFT) and International Society of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods (ISNFF) and other scientific meetings. He has also delivered invited lectures in various national and international scientific conferences, organized workshops, and group discussion sessions. Harry G. Preuss, MD, MACN, CNS, received his BA and MD from Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, and New York City, New York; trained for three years in internal medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center under Dr. David E. Rogers; studied for two years as a fellow in renal physiology at Cornell Universi
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication15/10/2015
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note92 black & white illustrations, 8 colour illustrations, 49 black & white tables
- Weight1496 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edited byAnand Swaroop,Debasis Bagchi,Harry G. Preuss
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.