All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionThe nutritional benefits of marine flora and fauna are well kwn. Fish and crustaceans provide high-quality sources of ami acids-nutritionally important proteins found in only small amounts in cereals and grains. Nutrients and minerals in seafood can improve brain development and reproduction and there are strong links between fish and heart health. Similarly, other organisms such as phytoplankton and invertebrates possess several nutrients of health importance. All of these benefits are critical to global nutrition and particularly important to food-deficient, low-income countries. The first book of its kind, Nutritional Marine Life explores the nutritional characteristics of the different species of the following groups of edible marine life: * Phytoplankton * Seaweeds and marsh plants * Jellyfish * Crustaceans * Mollusks * Echiderms * Prochordate * Fish * Turtles * Mammals For each species, the book discusses its classification, common name, habitat, global distribution, biological features, and nutritional facts. The highly accessible style and high-quality photographs make it easy to identify nutritionally and commercially important marine species. The book is ideal for students and researchers in fisheries and aquaculture and in related marine biology and biotechlogy disciplines. It is also suitable as a reference for practitioners in those fields as well as dieticians, food scientists, and physicians interested in kwing about the health benefits of seafood.
- Author BiographyDr. Ramasamy Santhanam is the former Dean of the Fisheries College and Research Institute at the Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University in Thoothukudi, India. His fields of specialization are Marine Biology and Fisheries Environment. Presently he is serving as a resource person for various universities in India. He has also served as an expert for the Environment Management Capacity Building, a World Bank-aided project of the Department of Ocean Development, India. He was a a member of the American Fisheries Society, the World Aquaculture Society, the Global Fisheries Ecosystem Management Network (GFEMN), and the International Union for Conservation of Nature's (IUCN) Commission on Ecosystem Management, Switzerland. To his credit, Dr. Santhanam has 17 books on Fisheries Science/Marine Biology as well as 70 research papers.
- Author(s)Ramasamy Santhanam
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication12/12/2014
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note321 black & white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.