Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionThe years after Newfoundland's confederation with Canada were ones of rapid social and ecomic change, as provincial resettlement and industrialization initiatives attempted to transform the lives of rural Newfoundlanders. At Memorial University in St. John's, a new generation of faculty saw the province's transformation as a critical moment. Some hoped to solve the challenges of modernization through their rural research. Others hoped to document the island's traditional culture before it disappeared. Between them they created the field of Newfoundland studies. In Observing the Outports, Jeff A. Webb illustrates how interdisciplinary collaborations among scholars of lexicography, history, folklore, anthropology, sociology, and geography laid the foundation of our understanding of Newfoundland society in an era of modernization. His extensive archival research and oral history interviews illuminate how scholars at Memorial University created an intellectual movement that paralleled the province's cultural revival.
- Author BiographyJeff A. Webb is an associate professor in the Department of History at Memorial University.
- Author(s)Jeff Webb
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication17/12/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Weight760 g
- Width162 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.